Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Don't Be a Jerk Doctor Please


To those few people that actually read this blog, I am going to be honest; I almost forgot that I had a blog until two days ago, which from there on I just got too lazy to write.

Anyways, a few days ago I went to visit my dermatologist to deal with the medical condition commonly known as pimples (I prefer to use the denotation pimples instead of acne, because acne simply just sounds gross. “Acne”, it sounds similar to a Russian name, like Youzhev Acne…….. er something). To this very day, I don’t truly know why God allowed such pestering things to develop and grow on the faces of innocent, beautiful teens all around the world. Maybe God didn’t allow this to happen? Since God is a God of love, and since a loving and caring God would not like to see disrupt and unease in his creation… maybe, just maybe… pimples are the creation of the devil, unknown to the presence of God. But what would have been the reason for the devil to create such a disastrous thing? Maybe… it was because Mr. Satan himself had it as a “minor defect from imperfection” as a child. Or maybe, pimples are a symbol to remind us of the fight against the forces of evil.... by buying cleansers and medical supplements to rid of such things, again symbolizing the need of a religion denomination. However, this blog post is not about pimples, nor the theological history of pimples in my own perspective. Instead, it is about the dermatologist himself… dun dun dun!!!

If you’ve never been to a dermatologist, it’s very similar to a normal doctor’s check-up. You drive to the hospital or clinic, sign in, wait, get called in, wait some more, keep waiting until the doctor comes, nurse comes in to tell you “the doctor will be here momentarily”, doctor does not come “momentarily”, wait some more… and as soon as you decide to lay down for a small nap on their little bed thing; the doctor comes in. But when my so called doctor came in, I noticed something on his name tag that questioned me. It read “Nurse Practitioner” instead of the usual “Md., PhD, etc.” meaning that this “doctor” I had paid money for was a nurse. Wait, not a nurse, a “Nurse Practitioner”. So I thought “It’s all cool, calm down, he’s got the skills to provide the right pills yo, no worries”. But instead of acting like a “Nurse Practitioner” should, he acted as if he was the doctor, as if he went through the 10 plus years of hell in medical school…. Since this was a dermatologist focusing on the face, you would suspect a “professional” to actually diagnose you, according to your face. But no, he didn’t even look at my face, but rather at the plastic clipboard made from China which he mistakenly took as my face. He would be like “mhm… yes. Ok. Oh?... I see. Mhm”, while I would be sitting on the chair looking at the clipboard replacing what used to be his face, before the prestigious level of “Nurse Practitioner” was heavenly bestowed upon him. In the end, I got what I needed. End of story. While the actual knowledge of the “Nurse Practitioner” may have been sufficient in diagnosing my minor pimple condition, I still would have appreciated it if his outwardly pose would have been more caring. Moral of the story; if you’re a kid or college student aspiring to become a doctor whether forced by tyrannical parents or because of the stable career it provides... Take note that when becoming a licensed doctor of any field, please care to at least seem interested in your patient’s problem. It means a lot to the patient if you don’t treat him like a toy you get from a McDonald’s happy meal.


Now if you’re actually a doctor because you TRULY want to help people regardless the influence of society… actually I will talk about this next time =]. As for this blog, thanks for reading! And if would like to comment… DON’T!!!!!! Just kidding, feel free to comment. Actually I hate having to say stuff like “feel free to comment… yea!” because it makes it feel as if I’m begging you to read this stuff and respond. Or like those people that spam “Read my blog, and be sure to comment!” on Facebook every few hours. No with me, if you feel like you just want to unleash the verbal rhetoric of emotions dwelling deep inside you about my blog, do it. I find all comments whether positive nor negative, satisfying, in a strange way...

1 Post a Comment!!:

Vaughan said...

Oh David this is just another entertaining piece! Your theology of pimples, though implausible, (hahaha ...) is extremely fun to read. If this is any comfort, I had lots of pimples too when I was your age. I didn't take any medication, though I did use acne cream or stuff like that (btw, I'll never feel the same about the word "acne" from now on ... lol) This pimple problem will soon go away. However, I do think diet, rest, and stress all play a part, so you might want to be careful about those areas.
Couldn't agree with you more on the ethics of being a doctor. You're spot on when you say a doctor at least needs to SHOW that he cares ... I'm not a doctor myself -- well, at least not a medical doctor -- but when I get on with my students I always remind myself to be as attentive to them as possible. And thank YOU for reminding me that nobody wants to be treated like a free toy from a McDonald's happy meal ... XD

Post a Comment