Saturday, April 24, 2010

Famous YouTuber's: SUCK


When you're at your computer and bored, what do you usually do? Maybe play some games? Or chat with some friends? Regardless, we all can admit that at one point or another, YouTube seems to be a consistent source of entertainment. With the endless amount (literally.... endless) of video comedy, drama, action, blogging, the possibilities of the preferable genre choices are substantial to satisfy any extremity of boredom. But in terms of the actual tendency to watch a certain video, it is possible to say that many of us tend to watch the one with the most stars or greatest amount of views. For example if you look up... how to grow wings and fly, and about a thousand plus videos show up, do you watch the video listed as number 3,813? Or do you prefer to glance over the top 5 videos, then select the one most appealing in terms of stars and viewers? Well the thing is, it's not our fault, the highly regarded videos are highly regarded for a reason; their simply more entertaining to watch compared to others. And as pursuers of fine entertainment, we eventually find ourselves watching them, whether we notice that trend or not. Most of the time, if a certain YouTuber made a video extremely appealing to you, then usually, his entire line of produced video will seem appealing to you. However, what I hate most is that the more famous a YouTuber gets, the more suck-ier the videos gets. And as a pursuer of fine entertainment, I loathe that fact. And that is what I will be talking about in this blog today.


I'm going to use one example that I find to be the epitome of this descending suckage of YouTubing skills: KevJumba. If you haven't watched any of his videos, it's quite funny and entertaining. He talks about facts in a way that makes you go LOL, and for that, I respect him as a YouTuber and as a human. But then, more people like me began to watch his videos and subscribe to his channel, and soon enough, he was regarded as a famous YouTuber. And from there on, his videos has been worser and worser by every click of his video editing. Earlier as a normal YouTuber and individual like you and me, his videos as a average high schooler appealed greatly to me simply because the things he talked about, and the prose in which he presented it. Now as a famous YouTuber not only has he completely lost track of the essence that originally made him famous, he's trying to conform to viewers and the YouTube society as the average "Video Blogger", which I hate. Because in sense, I watch the videos because of its austere and authentic humor, but now, he unnaturally tries to emphasis humor in a way that leaves you responding "eh" to the vast majority of his recent videos. However that is still not the major reason, as a famous YouTuber, KevJumba like many other famous YouTuber's now feel like it's their duty to appeal to the public as a humorous, nice, or witty character. But truthfully, the old rugged biasness and genuine humor is what appealed to me, far greater than what the person actually may be in character. Because once again as pursuers of fine entertainment, entertainment enacted through the performer is what we seek, not the performer itself.
Another side I have been noticing is the fact that when a YouTuber begins to become well known in the YouTube society; they either create a separate and new channel to document the more "realistic and natural" side of their lives, or a channel raising money for "charity" by the view or donation. For example a famous YouTube group Smosh has created a new channel IanH to document their more personal life. Although it may sound strange, and question "David why would they create a new channel to document their natural life when their original YouTube channel was already their natural life?" It all comes clear when you find out, that their "original" channel now has a set of directors and producers, and audio engineers, and prop artists....... WTF would a YouTuber need such high level of performing when what essentially made them famous was the unpolished, almost pristine nature of their normal and average life? Or furthermore, WTF would you need script, specially written by a screenwriter in your videos.......??? I want to hear your dialogging, your thoughts and humorous insights, not the frikin screenwriter's..... Now talking about the second choice of famous bloggers, YouTuber's like that of KevJumba have created a separate YouTube channel to raise money (JumbaFund).... simply because he knows that people would ignorantly watch a thing, because he is famous, and was funny. And sooner or later, those famous YouTuber's completely ignore their old channels, simply because now you have one with a flow of income, I mean "charity money". It peeves me, that such great YouTuber's with such limitless potential all seem to end up in the same pile of horse poop. It'll be like me if this blog was to become super-ultra famous one day (highly not likely), and soon because it was that famous.... it wasn't even me writing anymore.... just me pressing "publish post"......


To end blog today, I would like to thank those that manage to read all the way to this sentence. It means a lot to me when people are reading my work (perhaps commenting.... no pressure). Because then I know that I'm not insane when I know that I'm not the only person reading this blog.....Which is a good thing. I recently added a subscribe thing so that if you follow my blog and subscribe, you now get an email when something new comes out... yea! And to remind you all again.... please feed the fish at the bottom of the page!!!!!!!

3 Post a Comment!!:

Vaughan said...

I've learnt something new from you today, David! I knew there are Youtubers out there making more and more videos that keep declining in quality, but I didn't know some would actually set up another "real channel" and let directors / producers run their original channel. That defeats the purpose of Youtubing at all, because one main attraction of Youtube videos is their rugged, nearly pristine authenticity, as you call it, and if I want to watch something produced by "professionals" I would go watch cable or rent a DVD or something ...

From what you write I can see that you're indeed growing, David ... in terms of the depth of your thought and breadth of your vision ... I couldn't be happier! XD

Vaughan said...

I've learnt something from you today, David! I knew there are Youtubers who keep making new videos to "feed the crowd" and can't be bothered about the quality anymore, but I didn't know some would actually set up another "real" channel alongside their "original" channel -- as if the channel they first started isn't "real" at all, which of course is a really stupid thought. To me, what makes Youtube videos appealing is, as you said, their rugged, nearly pristine authenticity, and if a troupe of directors or producers come in to script and orchestrate things, the charm of the videos will be lost, totally ...

From what you write David I can see that you're indeed growing ... in terms of the depth of your thought and the breadth of your vision ... I couldn't be happier about that! XD

Chee154 said...

Vaughan I agree with what you agreed with what I found derision. I mean, whats the purpose (besides the free of charge cost) of making YouTube videos if you are already spending that much effort and money into financing it?..... might as well make a real movie or video. Plus, not only is the quality of the video itself detestable, but also a complete waste of effort. Another thing I wanted to add in the blog was the fact that famous YouTubers now seem to post many of their videos of them merely "hanging" out with other famous YouTubers. Call it jealousy, call it apathy. Whatever you may call it, I believe that such things are merely excessive and futile, and only posted to "feed the crowd" (like you said). What is happening to the true ethics and foundations of what built YouTube to what it is today? Because if every YouTuber with fine quality turns into "one of them".... whats the point in subscribing to their videos from the start?

Post a Comment